6 January 2012

Divergent Thinking

























A fantastic project where I learnt alot! My class and I were tasked with constructing a floor length dress without the use of a sewing machine or designs. At first it was rather daunting. We were given 3 different fabrics and a mannequin.... GO!
I began just playing with the fabric to get a feel of it and see how it draped and shaped around and off the mannequin. As there was no sewing machine aloud, I decided to take a trip to B&Q (looking rather out of place) and collect some hinges, chains, safety pins and other bits and bobs. We were able to use hand sewing methods, which I did to secure the hinges and chains into place.
Once I got my basic foundation, it seemed the dress was missing depth. I then knitted a centre front panel to accent the dress, which looked perfect with the dress!
Finally to create more shape I added a chain entwined belt. I also applied a method used in bridal gowns, where you stitch a ribbon tie and a ribbon loop underneath the dress in certain sections. I then tied them together to create a lift throughout the dress and give a more interesting look!

It was a fantastic learning curve and I would advise anyone with a mannequin and some fabric lying around, give it a go and you will be amazed in what you come up with!


2 comments:

  1. Great Creativity & Happy New Year 2012!

    Neat post and love your blog... would you like to follow each other!

    @MyLyfeMyStory

    My Lyfe ; My Story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Harija

    Yeah that would be great to follow eachother!

    xx

    ReplyDelete