5 January 2012

Callanish Project























In September 2011 my class and I were commissioned to work with Malcolm Campbell; entrepreneur in the textile creative industry. We were given a new innovative and complex fabric, The Callanish Tartan. Based upon the Callanish Stones on the Isle of Lewis, the tartan reminisces the colour scheme of the landmark and Scottish and Isles heritage. The tartan has been shower proofed to the highest of standards without diminishing any quality to the fabric.
My class (Fashion Design) and I were to design and construct an outfit made from the tartan and/or any complimenting fabrics. Inspiration came from the tartan, the Callanish Stones and the Victorian Era.

The outcome above is my outfit. I constructed a structured playsuit, inspired from the corsetry and structure of the Victorian Era. I wanted to continue with the phrase applied in the brief, Stepping Back .... Looking Forward! I have achieved this with the playsuit.
I also constructed a caged crinoline covered in the Callanish tartan to be applied over the playsuit. Finally I constructed an oversized fur neck piece, to be worn with the rest of the outfit!

There is more to this project to come and I am very excited so I will keep you's updated!!






3 comments:

  1. these are great. :) nice runway photos, and i enjoyed browsing your blog. :) new follower. cheers!
    jasmine
    adamalexmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AdamAlexMommy :) Glad you enjoy my blog keep updated :)

      xx

      Delete